TemakiAn icon expansion pack for Maki
See https://ideditor.github.io/temaki/docs for details about each icon.
What is it?The Maki icon pack is pretty great! We use it in the iD editor and name-suggestion-index projects, but sometimes:
- We need an icon that's out of scope for Maki
- We don't want to wait for an icon to be added to Maki
- We're ok with not having 11px versions
So in these situations, we can just draw something "good enough" and put it here. (Many of these icons also originally came from the scottdejonge/map-icons repo.)
The Temaki icons are a little bigger and messier than the Maki ones, but just as delicious. :yum:
Design guidelinesWe try to mostly follow the excellent Maki design guidelines but these icons are only available in 15px versions.
The purpose of the temaki icons is:
- To look acceptable on 15px map pins
- To look really great on 40px preset labels
Some other guidelines:
- Try to snap coordinates to 1px pixel boundaries for maximum sharpness across all displays.
- 0.5px pixel boundaries will still look sharp on retina displays.
- Icons with anything shiny should be lit from the left (e.g. water, perfume, balloon).
- Try to be culturally neutral (e.g. avoid letters, numbers, left-to-right writing, currency symbols).
- Prefer solid dark shapes over stroked/outlined shapes.
- Prefer simplicity over complexity - fewer strokes, paths, control points.
- Prefer rounded corners and fun shapes (exceptions for serious things like weapons, security cameras).
- It's ok to break the rules.