Takes a sample of CSV text and tries to guess newline character, col delimiter, quote character, and whether or not the first row in the file contains labels.
var CSVSniffer = require("csv-sniffer")(); var sniffer = new CSVSniffer(); var sample = obtain_a_sample_somehow(); sniffResult = sniffer.sniff(sample); console.log("Sniff result: "+ "Newline string: " +sniffResult.newlineStr+ "Delimiter: " +sniffResult.delimiter+ "Quote character: " +sniffResult.quoteChar+ "First line contains labels: " +sniffResult.hasHeader+ "Labels: " +sniffResult.labels+ "# Records: " +sniffResult.records.length );
CSVSniffer(delims)The constructor of a CSV sniffer takes one optional argument: an array of possible column delimiters. Auto detection will never propose a character outside of this set. If delims is not provided, all ASCII characters are considered.
CSVSniffer.sniff(sample, options)This function is the only function in the CSVSniffer object. It operates based on the given options in the optional options object. Options that are not provided are attempted to be auto detected. Possible options:
- newlineStr string: Line separator in sample
- delimiter string: Column delimiter in sample (null or )
- quoteChar string: Quoting character in sample (null or empty string means no quote character)
- hasHeader boolean: Boolean indicating whether or not the first line in sample contains header labels.
Returns object with the following properties:
- newlineStr string: If auto detected, will be one of "\r", "\n", "\r\n", "\n\r"
- delimiter string: If auto detected, can be any ASCII character. Will be null if no delimiter was found.
- quoteChar string: Can be either ' or " or null.
- hasHeader boolean: true if first line is treated as header.
- warnings array: Can contain some warnings that were generated during the sniffing. Will be empty in most cases.
- types array: Contains the types of the columns. One of "string", "float", "integer".
- labels array: Contains column labels, taken from the first line of the sample. If 'hasHeader' is false, this variable will be set to null.
- records array: Contains the parsed data from the sample, using the information that was found during the sniffing process. This array of arrays will not contain the labels if 'hasHeader' evaluated to true.
Please report any suggestions/bugs to firstname.lastname@example.org