A simple XML to JSON converter
InstallSimply install using NPM in your project directory
npm install simple-xml-to-json
Usage and API
- convertXML(xmlToConvert ,customConverter)
* `xmlToConvert` \<string\> * `customConverter` \<function\> * Returns: \<JSON\> by default or other if `customConverter` is used
* `xmlToConvert` \<string\> * Returns: An AST representation of the XML \<JSON\>
const myJson = convertXML(myXMLString) const myYaml = convertXML(myXMLString, yamlConverter) const myAst = createAST(myXMLString) ````
Notes and how to use code
- The easiest thing to start is to run
node example/example.jsin your terminal and see what happens.
- There's the
xmlToJson.jsfile for convenience. Just pass in the XML as a String.
- It's MIT licensed so you can do whatever :)
How this works in a nutshell
- The library converts the XML to an AST
- There is a JSON converter that takes the AST and spits out a JSON
- You can write your own converters if you need XML-to-ANY-OTHER-FORMAT
BenchmarkTake these results with a grain of salt.\ According to a simple benchmark test I performed in April 2020 with a random XML. YMMV.
- The chart results may be outdated. Run the test yourself
- No support for XSD
- All values are translated to strings in JSON
- There are currently reserved words in the JSON converter:
* "content" * "children" so you cannot by default have an attribute with that name and free text as the content of the element or have nested elements as children. *If you need to, you can write your own converter from the AST created by the parser, and pass it as a 2nd parameter after the xml string*